Amazing Home Remedies For Dogs And Cats
There are many home remedies for dogs and pets that can help you deal with most of their disturbing problems. Pets are lovely to have but they also come with their baggage - putrid skunk odors, pesky fleas, diseases, and so on.
Interestingly, animals such as dogs respond to herbal treatment than humans do. Almost every herbal treatment that is fit for human use can be used to treat your pet.
So any time you discover any problem that is not a veterinary issue with your dog, don’t overlook the importance of home remedies for dogs.
Home remedies for dogs and pets
Ticks remedies for dogs: Check dogs for ticks everyday. These critters must be removed before they cause infection. Dip a cotton swap in alcohol and use it to touch the tick. It makes it easier to remove with a pair of tweezers. You can also apply a little oil to the tick area and it will come to surface.
Summer flies: Protect your dogs and cats from irritating summer flies. Add ¼ cup of castor oil and 1 cup of shredded eucalyptus leaves to a quart of kerosene. Mix it well and let it sit for 3 days and use the mixture to rub down your pet.
Pet odor home remedies for dogs-cats
These home remedies for dogs and cats can also help to quench pet odors to a large extent.
- Skunk odor: When your dog gets near a skunk, wipe it down with overripe tomatoes for a good long time. This takes care of the odor most of the time.
- Mouth wash for skunk smell: If your dog gets skunked, wash it with scope peppermint mouthwash and that scent will begone.
- Baking soda-good smell: Sprinkle some baking soda on your cat or dog and work it into the fur. Brush it off and let the pet go. The dry shampoo makes your pet smell good.
- Milk treatment: You may also wash your dog with non fat dry milk by adding it to the bathwater to neutralize bad smells.
- Clean Shower product: You can also use a Clean Shower product to remove pet odors from carpets. Spray the spot and allow it sit for some minutes. Blot the spot with a damp sponge and dry with a paper towel.
- Vinegar for pet waste: If your dog or pet is not house broken yet, use vinegar with sponge to clean up its mess on the carpet. It will not defecate on that spot anymore.
- Sparkling water and febrese: If you find it hard to remove your pet’s stench and urine stain from the carpet, try to blot out as much urine from the carpet with paper towel and then spray the area with sparkling water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Soak up the liquid with absorbent cloth a number of times until you see no more yellow stains on the cloth. Vacuum the area and spay febrese odor neutralizer there and that will be fine.
- Borax for cat box: Mix 1½ cups of borax with 5 pounds of cat box filler to reduce and control odor in the cat box. One quarter inch of baking soda can also be poured at the bottom of the litter box before adding filler, to reduce odor. One or two sheets of Bounce on top of the litter box can also reduce cat odor.
Try some of these home remedies for dogs and cats and see how best they can help your situation.
Vanilla bean Pet shampoo: Place a split vanilla bean in 1 quart of cornmeal or orris root powder. Cover and let it sit for about a week.
Sprinkle over your pet and work it thoroughly. Then brush off. This keeps the pet clean and pest free.
You can also use only cornmeal if you do not have access to vanilla or orris.
Corn Oil for dog’s coat: Corn oil, especially Wesson corn oil can give your dog’s coat a shine. Add 1 teaspoon of corn oil to each food serving.
White fur remedies: Add a couple of liquid bluing drops to the rinse water while bathing your pet. This will whiten the pet’s fur.
Wet dog cleaner: Always have 1 or 2 chamois cloths at hand in case you need to clean a wet dog especially 2 wet dogs before they enter your house or car. The chamois soaks water faster and better than towels. You can get it at stores like walmart.
These are some working home remedies for dogs and cats that are available to you.
Other different kinds of home remedies for dogs and cats that you might need.
- Burs and weed stickers prevention: If you like to walk in the woods with your dog, spray cooking oil on its legs, tail, ears and underbelly to prevent these stickers in its fur.
- Stop a barking dog: If you or your neighbors are tired of your dog barking always, mix equal parts of water with apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the dog any time it barks. It dislikes vinegar taste and would associate it with barking and would quit it.
- Lemon juice for barking dogs: One of the home remedies for dogs barking
is lemon juice. Squirt some lemon juice into your dog’s mouth and that
will restrict the barking.
- House plant upkeep: If your cat keeps digging at your house plant pot or destroying the plant, pour some crushed and dried chili pepper with seeds into a gallon of water and allow it to soak overnight. Strain and spray some on the plant and soil and the cat will keep away.
- You can also Add some coffee grounds to the top of your potting soil. This scent will turn off the cat. Another way to keep your flower bed and vegetable garden from your cats and dogs is by spraying them with black pepper.
- Trash bag and pets: You can prevent trash bags outside of the room from being scavenged by dogs, cats, racoon etc, by spraying the bag with window cleaner containing ammonia.
- Keep stray cats away: The best way to keep stray cats from playing with your flowers or coming around your lawn is to mix strong lemon extract juice with 1 gallon of water and spray around the areas.
- Dogs out of your property: If you want dogs out of your property, sprinkle powdered tobacco around the property edges and that will do it. These natural remedies for dogs can be very useful to you.
- Sofas from pets: Place some aluminum foils on your sofas and upholstered
chairs to keep your dogs and cats away from them. The sound of rustling
foil scares them. These home remedies for dogs and cats have been used
by many pet lovers.
- Dog’s toenail bleeding: Clipping your dog's toenail very short may cause bleeding. Rub cornstarch to the nail bed to clot the blood.
- How to make cats calm: Stuff a toy mouse with valerian if you can
get access to it and let the cat play with it. They love the smell of
valerian, and they will calm down.
Injury and ailments remedies
Consider the following home remedies for dogs and cats if they get injured.
- Mange treatment: Mange is a communicable disease caused by mites. It causes itching and hair loss in pets. Mix ¼ cup of olive oil with 2 tablespoons each of goldenseal powder and garlic powder, and apply to the affected area. Some people apply motor oil to the affected area to get rid of mange. It could be messy though.
- Flea on dogs and cats: Mix your pet’s food with 100 mg thiamine daily. It is known to work.
- Rosemary for Flea wash: Boil 1 cup of fresh or dried rosemary in 1 quart f water and steep until cool. Strain, and wash your dog with it. Rinse it off and pour the herbal liquid on the dog, working it in well. Leave the herbal tea on the dog to dry up.
- Hair loss – dogs: Take a little goldenseal and sprinkle it on your dog’s feed and in the water.
- Pet remedies for Leg strains: Gently
boil 1 quart of apple cider vinegar and add 2 tablespoons of cayenne
pepper to it. Boil t for 10 minutes and apply to the strained leg of
your pet. It works well on horses too.
- Wormwood oil for hot spots: If
you discover hot spots on spayed female dogs, rub the affected areas
with wormwood oil several times. You can also add brewer’s yeast to
their foods. Another solution is to mix same quantity of olive and
thyme oil and apply to the affected area with cotton ball. This is one
of the relevant home remedies for dogs.
- Eye wash for pets: Add 2 tablespoons of bruised fennel seeds and 2 tablespoons of comfrey roots in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Steep until it’s cool and put in the eye of pet for eye infection with an eye dropper. Keep the rest refrigerated.
- Cuts and sores on dogs and cats: Get
a 16 ounce bottle of vinegar and add a handful of peppermint to it.
Keep it for about 2 weeks and use it on the sores of your animal. It stops the wounds from itching, and the animal from scratching. Rub a split aloe vera leaf on the pads of your dog’s sore foot frequently to heal.
- Hairballs prevention: Adding corn oil to the cat’s food once a week can also prevent hairballs.
- Hair balls: Mix 1 teaspoon of dried catnip with 1 teaspoon of butter and spread it out on a plate for your cat to eat once a day and the hair balls will seize.
little bit of Alberto VO5 conditioning hairdressing rubbed on the cat
is believed to prevent hairballs. The cat can lick its fur without harm.
The conditioner is nontoxic and natural. Try some of these home remedies for dogs and cats treatment.
- Dog rheumatism: Add 6 drops of rosemary oil in ½ cup of water and use it to massage the affected area of your pet. You can also stuff your dog’s pillow with dried male fern leaves. This reduces the pain.
Beside home remedies for dogs and cats, there are other natural cures that you can use to treat other animals around your home.
- Windy colic: Boil 4 tablespoons of fennel seed or bruised caraway seeds in 1 quart of water and let it cool for about 20 minutes. Strain and add to the drinking water of the animals. This should give them a quick relief. A lot of angelica for the animals to eat can also help with windy colic.
- Bounce to repel insect: Tie a sheet of unscented bounce to the brow band of the horse’s bridle to repel insects.
- Vinegar to repel insects: Add ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar to 16 ounce of water. Put it in a spray bottle and spray your horse with it. This drives away insects.
- Internal parasites: Mix together 1 tablespoon each of thyme, garlic powder and wormwood. Fill empty capsules with the mixture and give the animal 1 capsule for every 10 pounds of weight. Have your animal go without food for 24 hours before you start this treatment. Give the capsule to the animal every 4 hours during the day. These treatments can serve as remedies for farm animals and home remedies for dogs too.
- Chicken lice: Give the chickens wood ashes in a pile to bath in. This keeps the lice away.
- Peppermint to repel flies: Put equal amount of peppermint mouthwash and baby oil into a 16 ounce spray bottle and mix well. Spray it on your horses to drive away flies.
- Swine worm: Place some lumps of coal in their pen. Swine will eat some of it to get rid of worms, though that is not the safest material. Use your judgment to do this.
- Diarrhea in goats: Give the goats a lot of fresh purslane to eat. This will stop the diarrhea.
- Milk production: Milk production in cows and goats can be stimulated with holy thistle. Place a handful of holy thistle in a bucket full of water and let it sit overnight. Give to the animals to drink early in the morning.
- Sore teats: This remedy is recommended for treating sore teats in animals. Melt ½ ounce of beeswax in a cup of almond oil and apply it to the affected teats.
- Mastitis: Add water to slippery elm to form a paste. Use a clean cloth to apply it to the affected area. You can also apply a hot compress of thyme tea to the teats. Boil ¼ cup of dried thyme in 2 cups of water and steep for about 30 minutes. Strain and reheat and use as a compress on the teats.
- Liquid blues for algae: Liquid bluing can be used in reducing the algae growth in fish ponds, garden lily ponds, and farm animals feeding troughs. Just add a few drops.
Liquid bluing contains biocide and a nontoxic amount of Ph balancer that can stop the build up of algae and bacteria.
Now you have many home remedies for dogs, cats, and farm animals that you can look back to if there is need.
Return to home page