We really need a sugar detox program to help us here. Our American society is caught up into sugars. One person consumes over sixty pounds of sugar in a year. Look around and see if you can find many cakes without frosting.
Yes it is true that sugar does a lot of good things such as boosting our mood by producing hormone serotonin to the brain, and providing temporary energy upbeat. However, too much of it can adversely affect our health tremendously.
Sugary foods we eat such as donuts, chocolate, sweets, and sugary drinks represent only 30 percent of the sugars. We can find the others in foods like orange juice and sweetened can foods.
The first step is to identify and eliminate high-sugar foods in your diets.
Producers don’t always use the name “sugar”. Instead they may use names like glucose, dextrose, invented syrup, maltose, sucrose, corn syrup and malt extract, so check out for them. If the first 3 ingredients on the label have any of these sugars mentioned, eliminate the product. Also do away with the food if more than 2 of the sugar ingredients appear on the label.
Once you are on a sugar detox plan, your energy levels may drop, and you can also experience mood swings. However the correct diets will resolve these issues.
Sugar is not the only food that influences mood.
Carbohydrate foods can also boost serotonin in the brain which improves your mood and decrease stress.
However, watch out for refined foods with
carbohydrates such as pasta, white bread, and white rice. They can cause a surge in blood sugar, and sugar cravings.
For your cleansing to be successful, eat just little snack to keep blood-sugar levels stable.
For the best sugar detox results, consider snacks with low glycemic index such as grapefruit, nuts, apples, pears, and tuna.
Caffeine: A combination of caffeine and sugar lead to sugar surge.
Alcohol: Alcohol is a sugar that triggers sugar cravings.
Artificial sweeteners: Sweeteners may encourage you to eat more but may not raise your insulin levels.
• Take a boiled egg with pumpernickel toast.
• Consider a bowl of porridge with a chopped apple.
• Take 2 slices of rye bread with peanut butter and ½ glass of grapefruit.
• A bowl of Bran flakes with skimmed or soy milk and a handful of cherries.
• Consider grilled chicken salad with red peppers, red onions, and celery.
• Go for vegetable chili with kidney beans served with or without brown rice.
• Take turkey slices served with new potato salad, grated carrot, beetroot, and lettuce.
• Feed on rye bread toast with topped grated cheese and little baked beans.
• Consider grilled salmon steak with new potatoes and vegetables.
• You may try chicken tanduri with dhal (Indian food).
• Roast sweet potatoes with lean roast beef and a selection of vegetables.
• Go with a wholemeal spaghetti topped with cabonara sauce.
• Wholemeal spaghetti with tomato and seafood sauce.
In case you still experience cravings for sugar while on the sugar detox program, here are some steps to take. You may consider any of these methods below.
• Exercise: A 10 minute exercise like walking is enough to improve mood and energy and restrict cravings.
• Sniff Vanilla: The scent of vanilla is known to reduce sugar cravings.
• Look for gymnema sylvestre: If your sugar craving is strong, consider taking the herb. It is known as the “sugar destroyer”. It renders the sugar taste buds tasteless. You can find this in nutrition shops.
• The craving effect could last over an hour, so drink 1 cup of the tea, or take one 100mg supplement when you feel the craving.This is available in health food stores.
If you are very desperate, just eat a little sweet snack, and get back on the sugar detox recipe plan. You can do it. Keep your physician informed about your plans.